Stay Informed

Changes of VIC tenancy laws in response to COVID-19

In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, new laws have been introduced to address the financial and personal needs of both tenants and landlords in Victoria. Tenants are often more financially vulnerable compared to landlords, therefore requiring additional protection and support in this unprecedentedly difficult time. A new Part 16 – COVID-19 Temporary Measures has […]

If my child is estranged from me, do I need to provide for them in my Will?

Our intricate relationships with family members can be affected by many things, such being the nature of close and personal emotional relationships. Family affairs can be joyful, strained, or both, and it is not uncommon for a family to experience estrangement. Excluding a child from your Will due to estrangement may cause your estate to […]

Legislation Update – Land Tax Series – Foreign Surcharges and Discretionary Trusts

Pursuant to the Land Tax Act 1956 (NSW) (“the Act”), generally speaking, surcharge land tax is payable in respect of residential land if the land is owned by a foreign person.[1] On 24 June 2020, the new Section 5D of Act came into force and introduced new legislative requirements on discretionary trusts in respect of […]

Q: Are food delivery riders entitled to workers compensation benefits if injured on the street?

During the recent years especial the pandemic lock down period, food delivery industry has developed at an impressive speed. In delivering food and beverage to customers in a very competitive industry, delivery drivers/riders often expose themselves to risk on the road . If food delivery riders are involved in an accident while delivering food, are […]

Attention Landlords – Important Changes to Residential Tenancy Laws in NSW

On 23 March 2020, there were several important changes to residential tenancy laws in New South Wales which Landlords need to be aware has come into effect. Here are a few of the changes that came into effect that Landlords need to be aware of when leasing their premises: Landlord are now limited in how […]

Part 2 public interest during COVID-19

RECENT FLURRY OF COURT ACTION – PUBLIC INTEREST RALLIES IN THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC | PART 2 We ended our last article when the Police had asked the court to declare the Public Assembly (PA) that the Refugee Action Coalition (RAC) had planned for 13 June 2020 to be prohibited. The case name of these proceedings […]